Follow

I have struggled with using a still-air box (plus bleach spray, gloves, and sleeves) for sterile work with spotty success. So I decided to obtain a HEPA air source. Sticker shock → build my own.
I used a hammock filter as a pre-filter.That way, it could be big, minimizing back-pressure. Here is the HEPA air source half finished.
I used hardware cloth (coarse galvanized screen) held in place by wood chips and Weldwood contact adhesive to hold the cut hammock filter in place.

I added a couple pieces of wood to raise to work level to where the particle-free breeze is blowing.

I am delighted with the HEPA air source performance for sterile transfers. I was able to transfer mycelium from petri dish to syringe to culturing jars without contamination. I was also able to pour agar from a flask into petri dishes without any contamination. This perfect outcome was not possible using my still air box.

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Makerdon

Makerdon is a Mastodon instance focused on Makers, Open Source Hardware (OSHW) and STEM/STEAM. Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) is a likely topic as well. If you're interested in making things, allowing others to build on your work, and/or teaching others about making things, you might like this instance.